a day for dodging bullets and sipping campbell’s® soup

by Bella Rum

First off, I’m just fine and dandy. In fact, everything is just fine and dandy. My mammogram showed no change. This is one case in which no growth is a good thing, but….

It’s been a very tough day. Very. But all is well now, and I am beyond grateful and relieved. I am prostrate on the floor without bra. There. I said it. The first thing I do to celebrate surviving horribleness is remove my bra. Then I eat  Campbell’s Soup, then chocolate. I’ll be doing the last two soon.

At the beginning of the day I was whining about spit baths and the dearth of water. It only got worse before it got better, and then it got worse than I could have imagined.

I had the mammogram and they told me that I didn’t have to return till September for my usual schedule. Great! The technician even hugged me. So sweet.

Then H and I enjoyed a nice visit with Dad and started home (my mammogram was where Dad lives because when I had an issue, I decided to keep everything at the same location). We stopped at a halfway point for lunch. Just as we were finishing lunch, C called and told me that my sweet, sweet nephew – The Brother’s son – had suffered something very bad. They weren’t sure exactly what, but it wasn’t good – heart attack, stroke, seizure.

We drove to the hospital with heavy hearts. We had no idea what to expect. I called The Brother and he said The Nephew and a few employees were starting to unload oysters from one of the boats. My nephew suddenly sat down on the dock and said, “Dad, I don’t feel well. My chest is hurting.” He was sweating.  The Brother said, “Are you going to be okay, son?” He said, “No, Dad.” And then he immediately passed out and stopped breathing.

The Brother called 911 and was told to start CPR immediately. No one knew CPR. No one. He asked Daryl – a longtime employee – to start CPR, and the 911 operator talked them through it. The Brother said my nephew had a seizure while he was unconscious. His body couldn’t deliver enough oxygen to the brain. The EMTs arrived and took over. Thank God for those guys and gals.

He was still in emergency when I arrived at the hospital. I got one of the passes and went back to see him. When I walked in and saw his face… I can not tell you how I felt. I know he isn’t a little boy anymore, but I changed his diapers and I love him so. It was better than winning the lottery when I saw his smile and heard him exclaim, “Aunt Bella, you shouldn’t have come. I’m fine.”

Of course, he isn’t fine. We still don’t know what caused it. We do know that it wasn’t a heart attack… possibly an aortic dissection. I’m not clear on any of this, but I know there will be tests and more tests. He’s young.

Did you know????

March 31, 2008

You can skip the mouth-to-mouth breathing and just press on the chest to save a life.

In a major change, the American Heart Association said that hands-only CPR — rapid, deep presses on the victim’s chest until help arrives — works just as well as standard CPR for sudden cardiac arrest in adults.

Source: MSNBC

I bet I know how Superman felt at the end of a day of dodging bullets. I bet he wasn’t all Super-manish. I bet he settled down with a comfy blanket, a bowl of soup and thoughts of those he loved. Gratitude is a dish best eaten warm and with someone you love.